• Wobbe's blog
  • Anat Tales: Mad World

    Friday, January 12, 2007

    Mad World

    I'm ok, I'm fine. Really. I will be, once I stop embarassing myself by empty platitudes and silly selfish insecurity. It will fade. Once it stops being about me, I will be ok. Once I am no longer a player, but a spectator on the sideline, cheering the team on, I will be ok. Even when it snows.

    "No, I'm not trying to make a some kind of point except to say I like this poem because of its simple message. "
    "What's that?"
    "That people should stop bothering people. Little Bo Peep backs off. She could stay up all night, waiting and whimpering by the door, but she knows better. She trusts her sheep. She leaves them alone and they come home, and you can imagine the joyful reunion, a lot of merry bleating and frolicking and deep expression of satisfaction from the rams as they settle in for the night while Bo Peep knits by the fire happy in the knowledge that in her daily rounds, caring for the sheep and their offspring, she has bothered nobody."
    -- Frank McCourt on "Little Bo Peep" in "Teacher Man"

    I think Bo Peep is a saint. I think it is hard to reach that level of detachment.

    Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson,
    Look right through me,
    Look right through me
    -- Mad World, Gary Jules cover of Tears for Fears

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home