• Wobbe's blog
  • Anat Tales: Colours

    Wednesday, February 01, 2006

    Colours

    Our virtual characters become an extension of ourselves. They take on our own qualities. I can't bear to throw things out in RL - and I don't know how many times I've heard the "inventory full" message in VL.
    Every item has a history. I still have my novice robes in the bank - and God knows they're neither beautiful nor armourful.

    I string the stories of my items together, picking them up and remembering. Items I received from friends. Items I received for quests. I carry two sets of weapons (2-hand mace and a dagger) and several choices of off-hand items. I am herbalized to the hilt, harvesting any I see. Several VL friends like my potions, so I keep making them :-)

    When I was maybe 11 years old, my parents had finally decided to part with a very old comfy but threadbare chair. I cried for days for the fate of this poor chair, that had supported us and held us and was now to be relegated to the junkyard. I thought it poorly treated for its years of faithful service.

    We weave the threads of our story. My pattern is not pretty. There are gaps where I dropped the thread... and stinging nettle woven in with bleeding fingers and black hole sun sections where no colour reflects at all....
    Sandra, my friend, like we said, honesty isn't always pretty. But what an honour among friends to share the cloth. Truth be told... we all weave for warmth. As Kev said - we all deserve our soft landings.

    The article in the book I'm reading right now, "Understanding the Lord of the Rings, the best of Tolkien Criticism" , talks about the emphasis on free will in LOTR. Combined with the notion of responsiblity. Prince Brian in my daughter's "Irish legends" rolls out the spool of thread - and follows it to find his destiny. Would that it were so simple.
    Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
    Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
    The CBC's program "the Current" this morning focussed on responsibility, gullibility and accountability. In the interview, Kurt Vonnegut said this morning: "The sad thing about democracy is that only a nutcase would want to be president".

    I am the kind of person who falls for the joke "I heard they've taken the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary". I am the kind of person who cries to part with an old chair. I am the kind of person who does not give up hope. Who believes that the impossible should be possible.

    I think I should run for president.

    Currently ... let me get this straight. The party that stands for LESS government is promising MORE government because it might STOP government from doing anything.

    Nice trick.

    This is The Current.



    is there anybody out there who
    is lost and hurt and lonely too
    they're bleeding all your colours into one
    and a few come undone
    as if you've been run through
    some catapult who fired you
    you wonder if your chance will ever come
    or if you're stuck in square one
    -- ColdPlay, Square One

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home