• Wobbe's blog
  • Anat Tales: Games we Play

    Wednesday, October 05, 2005

    Games we Play


    So now I know why I like WoW so much... It is my lack of dexterity. We just got two new X-Box games, ostensibly for our son, Fable and Prince of Persia - Sands of Time.

    After wobbling about the village as the young boy Fable character with twenty pints under his breeches, and after failing for the 15th time to run to the Demon door and back in under 50 seconds , and after having been told off several times for using Magic in a melee duel (right trigger vs. left trigger) - I am starting to wonder whether I have it in me :-)
    These X-Box controls have too many buttons! And they are not ergonomically designed for people with hands the size of mine!

    (Hold on - then why does it seem that my son has no problem? :-) )

    This said, Lilyanna tells me that Fable has a lot of mature stuff in it. So I did some research.

    Review 1, Review 2 and review 3.

    What do we try to protect our kids from? I think behaviour that shows lack of love and respect is far more damaging that any display of intimacy could be. True, children are not ready to know certain things, and I'm definitely not arguing the Lolita point of view. But fear, repression and making something beautiful into something scary and ugly... isn't that setting them up for failure?

    Your comments always welcome.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home