• Wobbe's blog
  • Anat Tales: Gadget envy

    Tuesday, May 16, 2006

    Gadget envy

    And I know I have been accused, on multiple occasions, of suffering from gadget envy :-) But I think this is the ultimate. I need one, I want one! :-) (Yes, Freud would have something to say)

    If Motorola phones integrate iTunes, it flops. On the other hand, if there was an iPod that worked as a phone, I would buy it! Go figure? I communicate by phone, email, blackberry, IM, blog and now there's Blackberry Messenger.

    My dad used to be a family doctor. And in our house, the rule was that someone had to answer the phone - I mean, it could be a matter of life and death! I so admire Ahms and Kev for being able to switch off - I am at the beck and call of my play-that-funky-music-white-boy celltone.

    The looming gadget decision that I have to make is ... Xbox or GameCube? Xbox has the advantage that we already have several games for it. However, I am told by the authoritative voice of the 8-year-old subject-matter-expert that the Pokemon game for GameCube rules. We used to have a friend who bought his Amiga 500 after playing the game "Barbarian" on mine - he went into the shop and asked for "one of those machines that plays Barbarian" :-) So what's wrong with buying a machine to play Pokemon?

    Suggestions, anyone?

    4 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would go for the Amiga. Oh, wait, I just sold mine. I suppose a last generation Xbox is probably quite affordable now that the game console with identity crisis (isn't the 360 a computer really?) is out.

    Uncle Robbert would suggest you ask his little brother, who actually reads gaming magazines. He's all PS2 though.

    May 17, 2006 6:33 a.m.  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I woulf go for the PSP (I am a PS2 owner) or wait for PS3, if xbox was an option go for 360 (it is allready cracked for illegal copies!) but I am a bit principle about ms! nintendo has its new machine (wii). Offcourse nintendo has more kid games, but my 18+ rated ps2 games are forbidden and therefour favorite for 6 years old.

    greetings Jelle

    May 17, 2006 12:29 p.m.  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tinendo!!!

    Gamecube games are a howl, and I think the Wii is really the only "next-gen" I'll be looking at. They're consistently about the games, and throw in enough eye-candy to make it worthwhile. And hello, retro-emulators built in! Woohoo!

    I wouldn't say I can completely shut off/out things, but I'm a lot better than I was. I find if we let people expect that they can get a hold of us at _their_ convenience, we're kind of slaves to the devices. I don't miss my Blackberry at all, and if I could, I'd ditch my cel because whenever it rings it just means that someone wants something. Caller ID is my friend, as is a legal pad and pen.

    I'm slowly turning into a Luddite.

    Woohoo!

    May 18, 2006 8:03 a.m.  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey.. here's Anonymous again :-) You can connect their Gameboys into the Nintendo Gamecube. Go to:

    www.nintendo.ca
    --> Gameboy Advance SP
    ---> Link at the bottom of the page, middle one.

    May 18, 2006 2:01 p.m.  

    Post a Comment

    << Home