• Wobbe's blog
  • Anat Tales: Snow

    Monday, January 16, 2006

    Snow

    Snow brings out the child in us.

    Took my son up Cypress last week. Took my daughter up on Saturday. On Panorama, we have to take our skis of for a while and make a snow fort among the tiny trees. We dig and roll in the snow. She manages to sink into the snow to her chest and giggles all the way out. I have a moment of fear when I realize I might not be strong enough to pull her out. She wiggles all around on the chair lift to look behind, in front, underneath. We count fallen objects (latest score: 6 gloves, 1 package of Kleenex, 1 water bottle, 2 poles). My heart freezing, imagining a fallen child.

    The open skies of childhood where anything is possible. Doris Lessing talks about the generation gap in her Sci-Fi books "The Canopus in Argos" - how the grown-ups try to tell the children about how precious and short life is... how not to make the same mistakes... and the children cannot hear. I think that to instill adult worry into children makes them see the dark clouds. It is up to us to bring the umbrella and shield them. The frozen fear in our heart is ours. Let the children be.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home